Welcome to our Learning Leaders page.
Our Learning Leaders have been selected by their teachers as being more able in various areas of the curriculum. We currently have 16 Learning Leaders from Years 1 and 2. The Learning Leaders meet every week on a Thursday lunchtime for 30 minutes in the DT room.
Green Ethan and Inaaya
Turquoise Solomon and Ayesha
Pink Keanu and Aaminah
Orange Yusaf, Samuel and Kaitlyn
Purple Kadmiel, Timea and Karim
White Nisha and Jayda
Each term the Learning Leaders will be focusing on different design projects. The aim of each project is to utilise the skills and talents of the children within the group. We begin by brainstorming ideas of what we would like to make for our current project, the children generate some wonderful ideas and as a group we decide on what is achievable to create within our weekly sessions. In our meetings we discuss the project that we are working on, what we have done so far and get on with the activities that need to be covered that week.
This involves the children:-
- Drawing design plans and choosing their favourite design to make.
- Writing a list of equipment needed and instructions of how they will make it.
- Thinking of costings - identifying which materials will give us the best value for money and then deciding how much to sell their products for.
- Making their decorations so we have lots to sell.
- Designing posters about their products to be displayed around school.
- Creating ‘adverts’ using iPads – writing a script and acting/filming them which will be shown in an assembly.
- Creating labels and price lists to display on the stall.
- Helping to sell their products to customers, handling money, giving change and simple stocktaking.
- Using the stocktaking sheets to calculate how much money was made.
Learning Leaders aims to promote and develop the children’s skills and abilities through interesting and fun design based activities.
In the Spring Term we will be making greetings cards. The children will conduct surveys to find out what types of greetings cards their friends would like to buy. They will make them, think of how to market them and sell them.
In the Summer Term we will concentrate on designing, making and selling items such as fridge magnets and key rings at the Summer Fete. Other design projects will be added depending on the children’s interests and ideas.
This half term the Learning Leaders have been busy creating gingerbread decorations which were sold at the Christmas Fayre. They had to think about where we should buy the ingredients from to give us the best value for money and then decided on a price to sell the decorations at so we could try and make a profit. During our meetings the children followed their design plans and created lots of decorations to ensure our stall was well stocked. They really enjoyed icing their decorations. The children also had to think about how to advertise our stall. Colourful posters were made and put on display around the school. The Learning Leaders were also responsible for designing the signs and price labels used on the stall. During the Christmas Fayre the children helped to serve the customers, handle money and give change, make sure the stall was restocked and keep a record of what was sold. In our follow up meeting we worked out how much money we had raised (just under £29) and found that the gingerbread men and Christmas trees were the most popular decorations.
Thank you to all the Learning Leaders for your hard work this term. We will continue in the New Year with our next exciting project!