What is a Play Leader?
Play leaders are children who support other pupils on the playground, or on the field, to play games, resolve conflict peacefully and develop friendship skills.
Play leaders are:
- able to teach and play appropriate games;
- able to mediate and solve problems;
- trained by Active Luton specialists
Aims of the Play leader scheme
Although the Play leader helps individual children to develop skills, it is also a whole-school approach which aims to:
- improve behaviour on the playground;
- provide a safe and supportive environment for all children to use and practise social skills;
- develop friendships amongst pupils;
- help children learn from peers and problem solve together;
- facilitate the learning of transferable skills through good peer role models;
- teach pupils appropriate playground games.